I basically have forgotten to think about posting on this blog. Race reports and photos seem less important to me that just racing and riding. I am considering just pulling all of this down, but I will leave it for now. I put up a pretty large body of work and photos, so I hate to just trash it.
I have had my Trek Domane for about 3 years (almost exactly). The drivetrain is SRAM Red and has been pretty much flawless until a few weeks about. It started at the end of a Sunday group ride, about 30 seconds after splitting off from a group to head to the house. As a pedaled through a residential neighborhood, it felt a strange clicking in my drivetrain. I pedaled forward gently as I looked back at my driveline. Very quickly, things went pretty bad and bike started to buck as the chain wrapped around the rear cassette the wrong way. Basically, my Red rear derailleur came apart in the middle. The cage/jockey wheel part detached from the pivot mechanism (the part that translates when shifting).
This occurred about 4 miles from my house. My initial attempts to make the bike ride-able covered my hands in black chain grime (my chain is pretty dirty due to personal neglect in keeping it clean recently). To me, that pretty much ruled out using my phone to call someone because I didn’t want to ruin that as well. I was able to scoot and coast pretty well over the next 2 miles or so (mostly downhill, etc). Things were not so good a bit later as the chain shifted and I was forced to walk with 1.5-2 miles to go. At this point, I was on foot and pretty frustrated. By chance, the sister of one of my teammate (who I have never met), saw me (as always in team kit) and brought me home despite what a mess I was.
Once I got home, I got a replacement N.O.S. Red 10 speed derailleur coming in and then left for a week of work travel. When I returned on Friday, I swapped out the RD and was ready to ride on Saturday morning.
On the Saturday ride, things were going okay. Some where around mile 50 on the 75 mile or so ride, teammates were commenting about my rear wheel being really out of true. I stopped to check it out and found that 1 of the 20 spokes on my Dura Ace C24 wheels had broken. Rideable, but not the best. Maybe 5 miles later, I noticed that my rear shifter was acting a bit spongy… while riding, the only way to really check it out is to shift up and then back down and then crunch… shift paddle on the road. Great, now I am down to 2×1 in the 11 tooth. We stopped and I got it to the 12 in the back and then rode home like that.
So, once again, it was to the internet to find new, old stock parts. I lined up the replacement shifter and got it ordered. I pulled the cassette off the rear wheel to have a look at the spokes. Basically, all the drive side spokes were damaged by the chain (which had gotten between the cassette and the spokes during the RD meltdown a week before). So, that is at the shop awaiting spokes for a rebuild.
After a while, I got the replacement pair of shifters and replaced the right side (rear) shifter. The RD cable routing a bit of hassle, but I had just done that work recently (on the RD replacement), so it went smoothly. The rear brake, however, not so much. The rear brake cable enters the front tube and then travels down the top tube (without housing) to a stop in the top of the top tube near the seat post. This stop needs to be removed to open a place to hook the cable to then route it through the stop and then run housing to the rear brake. Unfortunately, the stop is secured by a tiny aluminum screw that strips immediately. It doesn’t help that it is in the line of fire of sweat (being immediately below the seat). So, on a Thursday evening the day before a planned 24 hour (relay) ride, I got out the drill to drill the screw out. I was able to get that piece out by drilling and prying it out without damaging it beyond use. It still performs the function because of the direction of the force on the stop when installed. It just looks really awful right now.
I understand that I can get the replacement part and I plan to make it look better once I get that. As it sits, it worked flawlessly (as the rest of my replacements) for the St. Jude ride where we competed (and won) the team competition. I rode my TT bike at the start, but switched to the road bike for the slower laps later in the ride.